Wednesday, June 7, 2017
Pink Floyd 1971-10-10 The Great Hall, Bradford University, Yorkshire, England
Title: One Of These Days In Bradford
Free Range Pigs (FRP SCS-CDR001/002)
Date: 10 October, 1971
Location: The Great Hall, Bradford University, Yorkshire, England
Source: Fuji Film FX Pure-Ferrix C-60 Cassettes(1)>Onkyo TA-RW 244>
Tascam DA-20 MkII>DAT(48Khz)>Monster Coaxial Cable>Cool EditPro>
WAV(48Khz, 16 Bit)>SHN
Tape One - Side A:
1. Careful With That Axe, Eugene 12:16
2. Tuneups 01:30
3. Fat Old Sun 12:55
4. Tuneups 01:36
5. Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun (Intro) 01:47
Tape One - Side B:
6. Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun 12:39
7. Tuneups 01:28
8. Atom Heart Mother 16:00
Tape Two - Side A:
1. Atom Heart Mother (Outro) 01:33
2. Echoes 23:53
3. Cymbaline (Pt. 1) 04:46
Tape Two - Side B:
4. Cymbaline (Pt. 2) 02:56
5. Tuneups 02:16
6. One Of These Days I'm Going To Cut You Into 06:03
7. A Saucerful Of Secrets 12:53
8. Pink Blues 05:08
Comments: From a very clean clone of the master cassettes. These tapes are the source for every Bradford release that you have heard. This is a direct transfer from the first generation tapes which date from 1971.
The recording includes all tune-ups and band chatter between tracks. The boys are in a playful mood, as you can tell by their interaction with the audience, which is very quiet during the songs. There is no appreciable hiss. The taper also used 60 minute cassettes, 30 minutes to a side, which is obvious by the breaks.
- 'Careful With That Axe, Eugene': The recording begins with the first few notes of the song. I
especially like Roger's scream since it is--by my count--a full 19 seconds long!
- 'Fat Old Sun': A great jam session. Vocals are not perfectly clear, but you can hear every word. There are some interesting guitar licks during the tune-ups.
- 'Set The Controls': The first tape flip occurs during the intro. After the song, Roger introduces 'Atom Heart Mother' then says the band is going to take a break, followed by what sounds like
"then we're going to have a drink."
- 'Atom Heart Mother': During the intro, there are several pops which sound as if they might have
been due to a loose microphone lead.
- 'Echoes': The opening pings to this "new piece" just pierces your skull.
- 'Cymbaline': The "footsteps" sequence goes on for quite a while. The third and final tape flip
occurs during this sequence.
- 'One Of These Days': David introduces this new song using its full title. This was the second
performance of this song, the first was at the BBC 0n 30 September.
- 'A Saucerful Of Secrets': The final break in the tape occurs prior to 'Celestial Voices'.