Sunday, May 9, 2021

Doc Watson 1996-03-30 Bijou Theater Knoxville, TN

Doc Watson at the Bijou Theater in Knoxville, TN  3-30-96
Audience Recording 44.1khz, 16bit

This is a stealth, audience, analog recording from my seat- pretty close to center of this small venue.  I had the microphone up my sleeve with just the tip of it sticking out.

Lineage/editing:  Sony D-5 Pro Walkman with Sony ECM-909 microphone on TDK SA-X100 cassette tape w/ Dolby B (originally intended for Dolby-Chain transfers to other cassettes), captured to computer via SB Audigy A [E400] - (Dolby off) and then encoded to WAV with Cool Edit 2000. Tracking, Normalizing and attempts to decrease volume of clapping were also with the Cool Edit 2000 software.  The Fingerprint and Torrent were created with Trader's Little Helper.  Fades were added to begin and end CD's in the corresponding WAV files. Coincidently each set that Doc played were about 50 minutes long and so the show should be burned to 2 CD's and the files are arranged with this in mind.

The Historic Bijou Theater is a small theater (holding only around 700 including when the balcony is filled) built around the turn of the century and has fairly lively acoustics so if someone in the theater talks or sneezes it could be heard by all.  On this night at the end of March in 1996, there seemed to be a prevalence of people with colds so you can hear coughing here and there.  Also, the clapping of the audience is abnormally loud, and you can hear cheers or comments from people through-out.  But the sound from my stealthy equipment (in my opinion) is quite good!

Adjustment of the volume by the house and by me from the time Doc Watson stepped on stage until about a minute or so into the first song is quite noticeable.  I upped my levels to hear his comments which added hiss.  Fortunately, with the added volume at the venue and with an increase in recording levels hiss is decreased after this. In regards to the songs, I was not sure of some of the their titles.  I have included a (?) to indicate this uncertainty.  If anyone can clarify what these are I would be obliged.

**Please share in its original lossless format only**

Set I (CD-1)
01 I’ll Rise When the Rooster Crows
02 Storms on the Ocean
03 Bobo Bill
04 Instrumental (?)
05 Never See My Home Again
06 [Banter]
07 Cory’s Gone
08 [Banter]
09 Ten Miles to Buchanan (?)
10 Blue Eyed Jane
11 He’s in the Jailhouse Now
12 That Aggravatin’ Beauty
13 You Don’t Love Me Anymore
14 Florida Blues

Set II (CD-2)
01 Going Up That Country (?)
02 Blue Railroad Train
03 Instrumental (?)
04 East Bound Freight Train
05 Stoney Fork (?)
06 Fulsom Prison Blues
07 Everybody’s Baby But Mine’s Coming Home
08 Special Angel
09 St. James Infirmary
10 Sweet Georgia Brown
11 Greenville Trestle High
12 Fill My Way Everyday With Love
13 Tennessee Stud


Link

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment