Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Queen 1977-02-05 Madison Square Garden New York, NY

Queen
New York, NY, USA
Madison Square Garden
February 5, 1977


This is now revered as a classic show, with Mercury and band in excellent form and note perfect - certainly the strongest taped show from this leg of the A Day At The Races tour.  Their first ever gig at the Garden, they had plenty to prove.  Even Brian May speaks highly of this night:

"My recollection is that my feet seemed to be suspended about three inches above the boards of that stage, and if you listen to the recordings from the night, you can hear us racing at break-neck speed as if there's no tomorrow.  It was an overwhelming noise that came back from the crowd that night, and a huge affirmation for us as a group in full flight."


Here is a direct transfer of the master, now speed corrected and with the volume normalized.  The sound is very good and mostly stable throughout.

Thanks to the taper, Rob Schoorl, for sending these discs to me.  Here are his notes:


"An amazing day! In the afternoon we went to see "The Song Remains The Same" in Times Square and then went to see Queen for the first time with the best band to ever open for them.(Sorry Billy) My favorite Queen show of all time. The first concert I had ever taped in my life, unfortunately the first two songs from the show were on the tail end of the Thin Lizzy tape which subsequently got mangled. I wasn't smart enough at the time to understand that I should have used a fresh tape to start the show.

I was up in the nose bleed section which didn't contribute to the overall sound. I recorded the show with a hand held portable Panasonic cassette recorder stuffed in my jacket....but I've got to tell you, in those days security didn't really hassle you much if you brought in a cassette recorder or Super 8 camera.

This is one of five Queen shows that I recorded over the years. I would hope to say I got better at it over the years. It's great to see them shared throughout the community....the coolest thing is going into bootleg stores and seeing some of the shows I recorded being released by various bootleg companies."


AUD > Master Cassette > Standalone CDR (1) > WAV (GoldWave speed correction, right channel normalized) > FLAC
(transfer: Panasonic handheld cassette recorder > Denon cassette deck > Harman Kardon burner)


more info:

http://queenlive.ca/queen/77-02-05.htm


 1) Ogre Battle [cut]
 2) White Queen
 3) Somebody To Love
 4) Killer Queen
 5) The Millionaire Waltz
 6) You're My Best Friend
 7) Bring Back That Leroy Brown
 8) Sweet Lady
 9) Brighton Rock [cut]
10) '39
11) You Take My Breath Away
12) White Man
13) The Prophet's Song
14) Bohemian Rhapsody
15) Stone Cold Crazy [cut]
16) Keep Yourself Alive
17) Liar
18) In The Lap Of The Gods...Revisited
19) Now I'm Here
20) Big Spender
21) Jailhouse Rock [cut]
22) God Save The Queen [cut]


Enjoy, and keep it lossless !

 

Link 

No comments:

Post a Comment