Saturday, April 9, 2022

The Rolling Stones 1972-07-17 Forum Montreal, Canada(Frankenstein FP 0018)

 


Live In Forum – Montreal 17 July 1972

I got 3 versions of this one.

« Where Were You………In 1972? » (S-Hole Production) and « Awesome Stones » (no label) are very similar and muddy (only the sound of « Awesome » is more low). The last one it’s the cd n°2 of « 1972 US Tour » (Stones Of Fire 9010).
All this versions are coming from the same source, had a poor quality and miss « Rip This Joint »
(see *) and also the intro in the SOF version.
An extract of « Jumping Jack Flash » appears as bonus on the VGP 100 « From The Vaults ».
(see **)

Of course I try lots of tests: the difference between the two first is the sound amplification but the 3rd is different with much treble…. too much for my ears! For me the SOF version is too much hissy and aggressive so I decided to make my own mix.
I obtain the best result using the « Awesome » source and adding some treble with a filter before to amplify the sound with 10db (see the result of the treatment and the specters comparison on the artwork file).
So this compilation is only for the Stones freaks, no hope to find here a good quality!
I had only try to make the more complete and in the better sound (for my old ears) with my two pennies software but with lots of patience and passion.
Remember I’m not Captain Acid or Teague Raw !!! and compare the result with the previews versions to appreciate the difference.

Now my others DIY modifications:
I remake the transitions between the songs (because often the songs begin at the end of the preview track).
For « Brown Sugar »: I upgraded the beginning and cut the gaps in the transition with « Bitch »
At the end of « Happy » a little sequence of some seconds was repeated, I cut it.
I cut a « blip » at the end of « Love In Vain »
Between « YCAGWYW » & « All Down The Line » was a gap (on all versions) now stays a transition a little brutal.
* The transition between « Bye Bye Johnny » and « Jumping Jack Flash » seems in the continuity, without any gap …. I think that, contrary of what is writing on the usual referential sites, « Rip This Joint » was not played in this show!
** Making some research on the web I discover that the JJF excerpt from the VGP 100 is coming from a Canadian TV program “Rock-A-Bye 1973 a  documenter with
The Stones at the Forum, Montréal, 17 July, 1972. I found two extracts from this program  at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68Ew9HX8-N4, I use the TV report as intro of this show and at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCNtVdWUgAA to make the conclusion because this extracts containt not only the JJF extract but also a great SFM extract (Mick Taylor work!!!) I rework both extracts ( note that the beginning is a mix from the intros of JJF & SFM! very curious).
I create an artwork for this Frankenstein new monster the n°18 with two great photos from Tom Gellman at http://www.jgphoto.com/?page_id=3
Posted on IORR at the end of November 2016 by StonyRoad

Link




No comments:

Post a Comment