Friday, July 28, 2023

Neil Young 1973-01-15 Maple Leaf Gardens Toronto, ON(unprocessed)

 Neil Young & The Stray Gators
Maple Leaf Gardens
Toronto, Canada
January 15, 1973


1980's Tape Trade > CDR > MacBook Pro > Peak Pro XT (speed corrected/level adjust) > xACT 1.59 > Flac

DISC ONE
On The Way Home
Tell Me Why
LA
Journey Thru The Past
Borrowed Tune
Out On The Weekend
Harvest
Old Man
Heart Of Gold
Come Along and Say You Will
Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere

DISC TWO
Time Fades Away
New Mama
Alabama
Last Dance
Don't Be Denied
Cinnamon Girl
Lookout Joe
Southern Man
Are You Ready For Country

I've been downloading the '73 feast of shows to compare to my sources if I didn't already have that particular version.  
To my ears the '73 Toronto show shared here in 2006 and brought alive again during this flood is way over processed
and sounds like a straight noise reduction tool was used to take out the hiss causing that noise reduction "swish".  
This did take out the hiss but also took out the high end,
It sounds boosted and closer which noise reduction will do but also sounds all mid range to me.

So whatever your preference is I decided to share this unprocessed version I transferred years ago without any noise reduction.
I might have used a touch of eq'ing on it but I just don't remember, unfortunately I didn't keep as good of transfer notes as tape trading notes before I got serious about the transfers.

The source I used for this transfer was very good with little hiss to begin with, my personal taste is I prefer this version as it has the high end restored and is a straight document of what the taper captured that night.

The one issue with this one is it is missing Neil announcing Time Fades Away but no music is missing.

I don't know the generation and kept detailed trade notes back in the day but there is no generation noted on this one.

Link

No comments:

Post a Comment