Thursday, May 26, 2022

Dire Straits 1979-03-31 Philadelphia or San Francisco 1979

Dire Straits Live
Philadelphia or San Francisco 1979
'The Warner Bros Music Show'
WBMS 109
1979 Warner Bros. Records
Produced by Dire Straits

Vinyl>Kenwood KD-3055 Turntable>Wave Editor>Traders
Little Helper>shn
1. Down to the Watertime
2. Six Blade Knife
3. In The West
4. Lady Writer
5. Where Do You Think You're Going
6. News
7. What's the Matter
8. Lions
9. Sultans of Swing
10. Eastbound Train
11. Southbound

This may or may not be the show in
San Francisco March 31 1979.
During some quiet spots there are pops
& clicks especially in Six Blade Knife but
then the record is 27 years old.
There is a small skip during Sultans of Swing.


***That is the info from the original torrent, my additions follow...***


This is NOT my needledrop!

I extracted the shns to wav, repaired in Wavelab then FLACd with Traders Little Helper.

I found this on another site and had never seen it anywhere else.   I know that the
"Warner Bros Music Show" series is of great interest to many so I thought I would share this
in spite of it's many flaws which are outlined below.

First the pitch was way off, much too fast.   This was obvious even to my pitch challenged ears.
Not having any other version to reference, I tried tuning to standard concert pitch (Knopfler
seems like the type who would be fastidious about that sort of thing).   This required an
adjustment of -44 cents.   The result sounded correct to me, but I can not guarantee accuracy.

Second, I declicked using Click Repair.   (If you haven't checked it out yet, you really should.
It is a killer program.)

Third (and most problematic), from track six to halfway through track nine, one channel of the
stereo got very soft and distorted.   I tried to repair it but the damage was too great.   This
was perhaps caused by a bad cable.   Not wanting to leave a big hole in the sound, I copied from
the other channel and pasted over the offending signal.   The result is (of course) that these
sections are now in mono.

Fourth, the "small skip" referenced above is worse that we are led to believe.  

In spite of all of this, I thought that any DS fan who doesn't have this would want to.
I hope that my efforts to minimise the flaws prove to be adequate.


Link 

No comments:

Post a Comment