Monday, March 25, 2024

Don Dixon and Marti Jones1991-07-27 Scenic River Days Reading PA

Don Dixon and (Pregnant) Marti Jones
Reading PA
Scenic River Days (outdoors)
July 27, 1991

sb cassette>cdr>eac

1.  Love Gets Strange
2.  Back of the Line
3.  Heart in a Box
4.  Intro/Crusher
5.  Distant Danger
6.  Borrowed Time
7.  Peace for the Last Time
8.  Tourist Town
9.  Ruby
10.  Second Choice
11.  Righteous Side of Love
12.  Renaissance Eyes
13.  <Percussion solo>
14.  Any Kind of Lie
15.  Follow You All Over The World
16.  I Can Hear The River
17.  Praying Mantis

Ah yes, I remember it well. My old stomping ground. Really hot day, my old man was still in the hospital (at least it made for a quiet house).
Balmy night, huge crowds.  The stage was around 50 feet from the Schuylkill river.  Maybe 60 people listening, most had no clue who they
were.........it was free.  Marti had relatives up from DC (see the comments about a DC dj), she was VERY pregnant and bulging,
and as you can hear, it did not affect her singing one bit!  I talked to Dixon before the show (he was supposed to be in Philly that day),
and we chatted about Hiatt (hence the opening number). Marti had a huge 'don't come near me' vibe.

This was the last show they played for almost 2 years.  Unusual set, as Don previewed 2 songs from his next cd, which didn't
drop until 1995.  Marti's 'Distant Danger' was only played on the '95 dates, then dropped.  It's kind of a blah tune about native Americans.

I was excited the local sound guy gave me the tape, but once I listened on my system, it was uh-oh.  How could a master have such hiss??
I guess being an outdoor show, they just threw something together.  And the mix was awful with Brock's percussion way up, even over the voices
at times.  This took a lot of work to make presentable.

Scenic River Days was canceled after 1992.  the crowds were too big.  Probably a good thing.

 Link

 

No comments:

Post a Comment