Friday, March 22, 2024

Iron Maiden 2023-08-01Olympiahalle, München, Germany

Iron Maiden
Olympiahalle, München, Germany
August 1, 2023

---------------------------

Recorded with ZOOM H1n + Sony ECM719 Clip-on stereo Mic
Lineage: Sony Mic - Zoom -> WAV 24bit96kHz - Audacity - Flac Lvl8

-------------------

01. Doctor Doctor [UFO Cover](from Tape)
02. Blade Runner Intro (from Tape)
03. Caught Somewhere in Time
04. Stranger in a Strange Land
05. The Writing On The Wall
06. Days of Future Past
07. The Time Machine
08. The Prisoner
09. Death of the Celts
10. Can I Play With Madness
11. Heaven Can Wait
12. Alexander the Great
13. Fear of the Dark
14. Iron Maiden
15. --waiting for encore--
16. Hell on Earth
17. The Trooper
18. Wasted Years
19. Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life [Monty Python] (snippets)

Total Time: 1h 58min 16s

Recorded by me, Roy/RedJohn.

This was the best (or second best) concert I have seen so far in my life. Yeah let's just say the best. Even though we entered the Hall just 10 minutes before the Opener "Lord of the Lost" were due to start, we got really damn close to the stage, just a few meters behind the barrier. The warm up band took their time, I think they started arround fourty minutes late. Good show tho.
The Maiden show started with their cover of UFO's "Doctor Doctor", played from tape. Then the house lights went out, and the classic Blade Runner theme started (they used to open shows like this on the 1986 "Somewhere In Time" Tour). Then, just like in '86, the Intro of "Caught Somewhere In Time" started, still the studio version from tape. At the point where the riff changes and the drums come in, the ACTUAL Iron Maiden started playing. IRON MAIDEN. THE BEST HEAVY METAL BAND IN THE WORLD. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME! It was a fantastic experience!

My adrenaline reached unknown heights when Bruce Dickinson talked about the recording of the "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son" album from 1987, before "Can I Play With Madness". They recorded it right here in Munich at the Musicland Studios. Now, Bruce mentioned that "some of you were not born when this album was recorded". So I, muccchhh too young to have been alive in the 80s, waved at Bruce and he responded with "you sir for example were not born when this album...".
wow
Bruce Dickinson just talked to me. The very best metal singer alive. Just talked to me. I felt like I should answer something, so about 15 seconds later I shouted "That's right". Now listening to the recording, it was only one second, but it sure felt like 15.
I am going to brag with this story until the end of time.

Maiden played just about all of my favorite songs, including the epic "Alexander the Great" (you'll hear me clapping along to the 7/8 time signature in the guitar solo). They did NOT play Run To The Hills tho. Also Number Of The Beast is missing from the setlist. Two absolute classics! Interestingly, I did not even notice it before my dad mentioned it on the way to the car. Not really my favorites anyway if I'm honest, so not a huge loss to me.

----------------------

You will have to live with me singing along a few times, here and there. I will not stop enjoying concerts just for better recordings.

Smoothed out some louder screams (by me) in Audacity. Attached two snippets of the outro music, "Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life" from the legendary Monty Python movie "Life of Brian". Those snippets come from short smartphone videos I took, as my recorder was already swiched off.

-----------------

Also included are some Pics I took with my phone.


I also recorded the opening act "Lord of the Lost"

Roy T, September 2023

 

Link 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment