Saturday, July 23, 2022

Johnny Cash 1996-09-24 Lied Center, Univ. of Kansas Lawrence, KS

Johnny Cash w/ June Carter Cash
Lied Center, Univ. of Kansas
Lawrence, KS
Sept. 24, 1996

Sony D-6 w/ Sonic Studios>Master Cassette>Creative>CDR>EAC>FLAC

I made a few copies of this for my friends, but this is the first time it has been transferred to CDR and circulated.

I will provide sound samples. Although it could be a little louder, it is a decent recording. The room is a typical college performing arts hall with real high ceilings, so you can tell that in the sound. Recorded from very near the center, center orchestra section, 16th row (which is farther back than it sounds, but well in front of the board. So, it sounds like you were there, but has more hall sound than I'd like.

This was Johnny's last great tour. I saw him the following year and he no longer looked strong and well, nor did he sing nearly as well.

If I were downloading this show, I'd consider skipping tracks 21 through 32, and the last track. Then it would fit on one disc and, honestly, leave you with the best part of the show. Something to think about.

I apologize, but I don't know the names of the band members. I also deliberately did not record John Carter Cash's agonizingly painful mini-set, only the song he sang with his dad.

I'm not that familiar with the names of all the songs, so I did what I could.

Setlist:
1 Intro>Walk the line theme
2. Folsom Prison blues
3. Get Rhythm
4. Sunday morning comin' down
5  Ghost riders in the sky
6. Bury me not on the lone prairie
7. These hands?
8. Ring of fire
9. I've got Jesus in my soul
10. Johnny talks
11 Walk the line
12. Rowboat
13. I never picked cotton
14 Rusty Cage
15. Southern Accent (5 secs of crowd noise cut for close yelling)
16 Unchained
17. Big river
18 Paradise (with Johny Carter Cash)
At this part I shut off the deck as not to waste tape on John Carter Cash. As a friend
described the horror, "It was like watching someone discover masturbation."
19. Goin' to California? (not led zep)
20. If I have been untrue?
21. Intro of June Carter>Jackson
22. If I were a carpenter (Johnny Exits after this song)
23. June Carter rambles endlessly #1 (6:11 of yada yada)
24. wabash cannonball*June Carter only
25. church in the valley/vale?*
26 You gotta walk it by yourself?*
27. Say that you love me again?
28. June Carter Yada Yada #2 (no music)
29. Wildflower*
30. June Carter Yada Yada #3 (no music)
31. Back in my rock 'n'roll years*
32. Will the circle be unbroken* (band also sings [could be johnny?)
33. Daddy sang Bass (Johnny is back!)[june finally exits after this]
34. Boy Named Sue
35. Walkoff theme, Johnny exits, no singing

 Link

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment